SERMON OUTLINES/PREACHING HELPS
SERMON OUTLINE FOR REFORMATION SUNDAY:
WHAT WE BELIEVE
What kind of church is New Heart?
So many people looking for a church these days to fit their family — or their style of worship — or the kind of preaching or teaching they like.
If I were to give you a little history of our church and describe a little of who we are you might say — that is just what I am looking for — or no thank you.
- Started in 04 — building up town — then by police dept. then at hotel
- 06 — funds ran out — ceased
- 08 God resurrected this work
- From high school gym on Sat nights — to restaurant — to hotel conference room — to building on national highway — to share a church — to our living room — to this building!
- We are New Heart because the Bible says in Ezekiel 36:26-27 that God offers to give people a new heart — one that desires to keep His commandments
- While there seems to be a church on every corner there is evidence of the great need for the Gospel of Jesus Christ to be proclaimed
- We are a Baptist Church with the SBC
But there is another word that describes us that is not used much today: we are a protestant church
All protestant churches — Methodists – Baptists — Presbyterian — all trace their roots back to the protestant reformation in the 16th century.
Martin Luther — a Catholic monk nailed his 95 thesis on the door of the castle church in Wittenberg, Germany on Oct. 31, 1517
We are going to hear much more about that next week when Dr. Belcher comes to preach at our homecoming service
I do not want to bore you with a lot of history today.
I simply want us to see that the reason we are protestant is because we still stand on the things Martin Luther said!
Four Latin phrases coined by the early reformers are what is known as the battle cry of the protestant reformation:
Sola — means alone or only! Most important word in reformation.
Sola Scriptura — The Bible alone
Sola Christus — Christ alone
Sola Gratia — Grace alone
Sola Fide – faith alone
I. Sola Scriptura — The Bible alone
2 Timothy 3:16-17
2 Peter 1:20-21
We stand with the reformers in that the Bible is our final authority — not our thoughts or our opinions or what Dr. so and so says — but the Bible!!!!
It is our only source of truth we have and need!
It is independent of us — it is God’s Word to us!
When you come to church you do not need to hear the pastors opinions on everything — or his life story of where he has been and all he has accomplished!
But you deserve to hear Thus saith the LORD!
The age old question the serpent asked Eve stands for us today: Has God indeed spoken?
He indeed has and He did not stutter!
We live in a day of post modernism — no absolute truth.
When you turn from the Bible as absolute truth — it is an anything goes society and world!
Illus — Oprah asked Pastor TD Jakes a few years ago his opinion on gay marriage. He said basically it does not matter what he thinks — it is not his opinion that counts — it is what God says about it that counts!
I’m not saying I agree with all of TD Jakes theology but I agree with that!
Before we leave look back in 2 Tim. 3 — notice Timothy was taught the Bible from childhood — word literally means infancy!
And that is how he learned the way of salvation!
The reformers said though there are many things in the Bible that are hard to understand — the way of salvation is spelled out clearly and plainly that anyone can understand it!
Appl — Moms and Dads — read the Bible to your children when they are young and trust God’s Word!
Believe it and live by it!
NHBC stand on the Word of God as our final authority for all we say and do.
II. Sola Christus — Christ alone
Pretty narrow huh?
Matthew 7:13-14 — pretty narrow.
There is only One way to Heaven
One way to God the Father
One way to have my sins forgiven
One way to live forever
That Way is JESUS!
In our day of post modernism notice the exclusive claims concerning Jesus Christ from the Bible:
- John 3:16 — The ONLY Begotten Son
- Acts 4:12 — the ONLY Name given to men by which we must be saved
- John 14:6 — the ONLY way to the Father
- 1 Tim. 2:5 — the ONLY Mediator between God and man
- Heb. 10:12 — the ONLY sacrifice for sin!
- 1 John 5:20 — the ONLY true God and eternal life!
- 1 Cor. 15:4 — the ONLY Leader who ever came back from the dead and is still alive over 2,000 years later and will forever and ever be alive!
Today there are many additions to Jesus in order to be saved:
- Christ plus the church
- Christ plus baptism
- Christ plus good works
Illus — Christian in a debate with Muslim. Muslim said you Christians are going to Heaven on the back of a crucified Man.
That is correct!
Illus — Sign recently taken down — had been up for a few years at a gas station/convienince store: Jesus. That’s all.
But make sure you are following the Jesus of the Bible!
There are a thousand and one different Jesus out there!
Illus — Ever heard people make the statement “my Jesus?”
- My Jesus would never send anyone to Hell
- My Jesus was all about love
- My Jesus was for peace
Make sure you know the Jesus of the Bible –
Illus — challenged a young man one time who was not a believer — to read the Gospel of John asking the question Who is Jesus? Cannot do so honestly and objectively and not come to face His claims that if He is Who He claimed to be He is God the Son and the ONLY way to Heaven!
III. Sola Gratia — Grace alone
By Grace ALONE!
Meaning the ONLY means by which a man can be saved and made right with God is based on the goodness of God NOT the goodness of man!
False Concept: God looks at a person and sees some good in him or some potential in her and says I’ll save him or her.
False concept — God helps those who help themselves.
Read portion of Romans 3!!!!!
- NONE righteous — not even one!
- NONE who understands
- NONE who seeks after God
- ALL turned aside
- ALL become unprofitable
- NONE who does good — NO! Not one!
- NO fear of God before their eyes!
The Bible has just described to human race of our day — that is what is worng with the world!
This is God’s indictment on the entire human race from start to finish!
We are all in the same boat!
I know it may not always come out in the behaviors of all people — but this is our hearts and potential within all of us!
No way we could ever make it to God on our own!
No way we could ever be right enough to Him!
Illus — why the Bible says our righteousness is as filthy rags in His sight. Making a batch of chocolate chip cookies with one bad egg. Ruin the whole batch. So does just one sin in our lives!
Conclusion of the indictment on all people is Romans 3:20!!!!
- By the deeds of the Law — by trying to do good and obey the Law of God
- NO FLESH — NO PERSON will ever be justified — made right in His sight!
BUT in verse 21 is a great BUT in the Bible!
What I am trying to say is that the only way a person could be saved and made right beofre God is if God were to act on their behalf!
Look in 5:6-10!!!!!
While we were without strength (helpless) – ungodly (hopeless) — sinners (powerless) – enemies of God.
God initiates salvation!
A person is saved on the basis of His kindness and goodness bestowed upon them in spite of what they deserve!
Appl — That means stop trying to conduct a cleanup campaign! You cannot clean yourself up! God saves a person while they are ungodly! He will cause you to see the truth about yourself and beg for mercy!
Illus — Think about your salvation. Were you looking for God? Or was He looking for you? Who put it in your heart to want Jesus?
Illus — in Heaven we are trophies of His grace!!!!!!
Illus — Be some that were vile and sinful on earth in Heaven!
Illus — Go to His Laboring Few and hear some of their stories!
This is why Paul said: I am what I am by the grace of God!
And that he would boast in nothing but the cross of Christ!
Have you ever sat and pondered why God would save you? Knowing all your secret sins? Knowing how you have lived your life? And then read Ephesians 1:5 that it was all according to the good pleasure of His will — not your will — not your goodness!!!!! Why would He save me? Knowing how I would mess up many times after that! Why would He put someone in my path to tell me the truth?
Grace, grace, God’s grace,
grace that will pardon and cleanse within;
grace, grace, God’s grace,
grace that is greater than all our sin!
Amazing grace — how sweet the sound, that saved a pretty good guy like me?
NO! A wretch!
We maintain a person is saved by grace alone — the goodness and kindness of God in spite of what we really deserve!
IV. Sola Fide – faith alone
And Romans 5:1
This is the major difference between protestants and Catholics
This is the difference between Christianity and every other religion!
This is the great truth Martin Luther discovered when reading the book of Romans.
How can a man be right with God
As a Monk he lived a very disciplined life.
But always plagued by his sins!
If he stepped on an ant he felt guilty!
Romans 1:17 he discovered the just shall live by faith.
Faith from start to finish. Saved by faith — live by faith!
How can a vile, sinful person be made right with God?
Have to be perfect to get to Heaven!
We are saved by good works — somebody’s good works!!!!
Ours must go!
We need Christ’s righteousness!
Illus — Pilgrims Progress at the cross. Given a new set of clothes! Old clothes as rags — our own righteousness. New set — the righteousness of Christ!
Justified by faith alone!
Made right — declared right by faith alone!
Meaning Christ represents you and gets your sins and He gives you His righteousness!
He lived a perfect life — offers that to our account!
Died for our sins to forgive us and wipe away the penalty!
He took God’s wrath for you!
Cannot be saved by good works!
Illus — 3 sins a day. 1,000 a year. 70,000 at age 70. What if an officer stopped you and found out you had 70,000 traffic violations against you?
Illus — Good works. How good have to be? For how long? How know when you have been good enough for long enough?
Salvation is to stop trying and start trusting!
It is to come to Christ as you are and let Him give you a new heart!
He will begin the clean up in your life!
Illus — Diff. b/t Christianity and other religions: Do and done!
Illus — Suppose in ocean clinging to a piece of wood from the ship. Someone comes and throws you a life preserver. You turn from you are trusting in now to save you to what someone else is offering to do for you!!!
What about good works?
They follow as evidence your faith is real!
Php. 1:6 — Christ keeps us!
Galatians 2:20 — the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God!!!
What about you?
Understand these 4 truths are essential to the Christian faith?
Scripture alone — ONLY source of truth to tell us how to be saved
Christ alone — ONLY Christ can save you
Grace alone — ONLY the goodness of God can save me
Faith alone — ONLY by faith in Jesus Christ!
Salvation is by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone according to the Scriptures alone!!!!
NOTE: Finally starting to add new sermons! Scroll to bottom for latest ones
It has been laid upon my heart to offer helps to other preachers who are busy, bi-vocational, or just need some help in sermon preparation. In no way do I think I have it all together and my sermons are that good. These are just outlines of many sermons that I have seen God use and bless in my own ministry and I want to share them with others!
Actually, it has always bothered me that some pastors are secretive about their sermons as if they belong to them.
Brothers, if we are truly faithful to the Word of God in our preaching, then we cannot claim any sermon as our own! It is God’s Word! And if the Lord so enlightens another pastor to a certain Scripture in order to rightly divide it with His help, then I see no problem in sharing that with others and/or receiving that help from others!
I have used Charles Spurgeon’s sermons many times as help in my own preparation, as well as other godly men’s sermons! Sometimes when I am struggling with how to outline a passage of Scripture, I will look at other outlines of that text by godly men whom I respect to help me. Often times God uses their help to help me so that I can faithfully proclaim God’s Word to my hearers in a way they can understand it.
So, with that said, look in the days to come, for sermon outlines that the Lord has blessed in my own preaching. Some have come from getting ideas from other men, some have come from just my private study with the Lord. But these are sermons that I have seen the Lord use and bless.
NOTE: Sermon outlines and notes will be added below as I have time. Check back frequently and scroll down for the latest.
SERMON OUTLINE #1
THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST
1 Corinthians 1:3-4
– Gospel mean “good news.”
– It is the good news of Jesus Christ — that God sent Him into this world to die a substitutionary death for sinners, and to raise from the dead validating that He is God the Son.
This passage of Scripture reveals to us the full Gospel of Jesus Christ — His death, burial, and ressurrection.
Understand that every person has 2 problems that have no human cure:
1. Sin — we have all sinned against God (Rom 3:23)
2. Death — we are all going to die and face God is judgment (Hebrews 9:27)
The Gospel of Jesus Christ has the only cure for these 2 problems:
I. The Death of Jesus Christ is the Answer For Our Sin Problem (v3)
Notice the text is clear: “Christ died for our sins”
A. The Person Who Died — Christ The Bible teaches that Christ is both fully God and fully man
As a man He was able to identify with us and die for us
As God He was able to live a perfect life and die as our perfect substitute
Illus by Dr. Jerry Vines:
– as a man Jesus got hungry — as God He fed the 5000!
– as a man Jesus got thirsty — as God He said whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst!
– as a man Jesus went to a wedding — as God He turned the water into wine!
– as a man Jesus wept at the tomb of Lazarus — as God He riased Lazerus from the dead!
B. The Fact that He Died – The text says “Christ died”
– Jesus really died
– He died a real death
– a painful death
– the text says “and that he was buried”
– the Bible says in Romans 6 that believers are to consider themselves dead to sin since they died with Christ!
– my sins were buried there!
C. The Reason He Died – The text says “Christ died for our sins”
– it was a substitutionay death
– for OUR sins
– not my brother not my sister but it’s me O Lord, standing in the need of prayer
– not someone elses sins — but our sins!
1 Peter 2:24 “Who His own self bare our sins in His body on the tree”
II. The Ressurrection of Jesus Christ is the Answer for our Death Problem (v4)
A. The Ressurrection Conquers Death (read the rest of this chapter!)
B. The Ressurrection Changes Lives! (notice verse 10 Paul says by the grace of God I am what I am)
Christianity is the only religion in the world that has an answer to man’s 2 greatest problems — sin and death
Actually Christianity is not a religion — but it is a real relationship with God through His Son, Jesus Christ.
If you will repent of sins and believe in Him, He will change your life, forgive your sins, and give you the gift of eternal life!
SERMON OUTLINE #2
1 Timothy 1:12-17
Nothing so blesses my heart like a personal testimony of how God saved a person
– changed life
– transforming power of Jesus Christ to change a person from the inside out making them brand new
– to hear of a person in the depths of sin, lost and Hell bound – and Jesus saves and changes them forever!
– Then to hear what God does in their life in this new journey
– Gives others hope, that if God could do that in his life, maybe He could do it in mine!
Background and context of this passage
– false teaching greatest danger of the church
– false teachers were presenting a false gospel
– Paul writing to Timothy for order in the church
– To deal with false teachers
– Stirring up fruitless discussions and debates
– Paul takes opportunity to give his personal testimony of the true gospel of Jesus Christ
– He was a product of the amazing grace of God
Here was a sinful man, a hateful man, hurting the cause of Christ
– saved by the amazing grace of God and became the greatest evangelist ever
Today is no different that the church at Ephesus
– there is much false teaching
– false gospel – (especially the Bible Belt Gospel)
lest there are some here who think someone is too far beyond reach
– look at Paul
– lest there are some who think you have sinned too great whom the devil has lied to, listen up! There is HOPE!
Romans 1:16 says that the Gospel is the power of God unto salvation for everyone that believes!
– that is what the church is all about!
– The main business of the church is to proclaim the gospel
– Greatest threat to the devil is when a church gets on fire about Jesus and the gospel!!!
Paul never got over the fact that Jesus saved such a sinner like him
– the chief example of God’s amazing grace
If you and I can catch this excitement
– never get over that Jesus saved us and get on fire for Him
– we would be great soul-winners!!!
– It is contagious
Are you a soul-winner?
Understand 3 truths from this passage concerning the true Gospel:
1) a true calling
2) a true conversion
3) a true Savior
I. A TRUE CALLING
Paul begins his testimony in this passage with where he is now, all by God’s grace, then he shares how Christ saved him and put him there
– this is a reverse order from his account in Acts 22 and 26
– where he begins with his life before he met Christ, tells how Jesus saved him, then how Christ changed his life
– here he begins with where he is now, and then backs up and tells how it is all by God’s amazing grace!!!
A. Christ Chose Him
– says that Christ is the one who put him in the ministry
– says that Christ counted him faithful
– remember that Christ is the one who changed his life and made him faithful
– there is nothing of Paul here
– he begins with where he is now and then he back tracks
1 Cor. 7:25 “as one whom the Lord in His mercy has made trustworthy”
- notice the personal pronouns “me’s” and “I’s”
– Paul is overwhelmed of where he now is by the grace of God!!!
Illus – I still cannot get over the fact that God chose me and placed me where He has! If He can use me, He can use anyone!
Illus – turtle on a post –
B. Christ Enabled Him
Not only did Christ put him in the ministry, He enabled him first!!!!
– word means to empower
– same Greek word Paul used in Php 4:13
Illus – today’s society tells us to believe in ourselves – especially tells out children this. Please do not tell them to believe in themselves. Paul did not say I can do all things if I believe in myself!!!
– the Christian life is one of absolute dependence!!!
– Read the Psalms
– God saves us as desperation and wants us to stay there!
Appl – no room for pride in the ministry!
– no room for pride in where the Lord is using you
– no room for any boasting of where you are to day
– may we ever be mindful of where we would be apart from the grace of God
Not only do we see that the true gospel brings a true calling, but also,
II. A TRUE CONVERSION
Here Paul tells of his conversion – how he was saved
A. A Great Sinner
- again notice the “I’s” here
– Paul describes his life before he met Jesus
1) a blasphemer
- one who speaks evil against God
– compelled others to speak evil against Him
– Acts 26:11 says he tried to force Christians to blaspheme against Christ
– Is there any hope fro one like this?
2) a persecutor
- Paul persecuted both Christ and Christians
– Gave consent to the death of Stephen
3) an insolent man
- one with no concern for human kindness
– Paul was arrogant and a bully!
He was guilty of breaking God’s law!!!
B. A Greater Grace
- notice the second half of verse 13
– but – this is a great word
– 2 of the greatest words in the Bible are found in Ephesians chapter 2 – Paul describing the lostness of man – “But God”
– mercy = God withholds what deserve
– grace = gives us what we do not deserve – His favor, blessings, forgiveness, and eternal life!!!
Never pray for justice – but pray for mercy!
- Bible says Paul acted ignorantly in unbelief
– He was sincere, but sincerely lost!!!!
– Sincerity never saved anyone!!!
Appl – many people like Paul today
– great sinners before holy God yet blinded to it
– thinking they are OK
– refusing to think about death
– refusing to acknowledge their sin
Notice verse 14 – grace was more than enough!!!
– hyper abundant!!!
– There is no sin too great
– No sinner too far gone that the grace of God cannot forgive and change
– Fait and love are gifts that come with the grace of God in salvation – 2 evidences of genuine conversion
– Faith that produces works – godly life
– Love for the Savior, the scriptures, and the saints
Note carefully the word “formerly” in verse 12
– Paul has been forgiven and changed
– Yet he never got over the grace of God in light of his past
Illus – Paul had a true view of himself and his sin
– wrote early that he was the least of the apostles
– later that he was the least of the saints
– here at end of his life, that he was the chief of sinners!
– Got worse
Today society is all about feeling good about ourselves
– Bible belt gospel
Illus – hymn writers had it right
– At the Cross – would He devote that sacred head, for such a worm as I – Eventually the word worm was changed to a sinner, to a man — making man look better and better every day! No way! Wrong view of self!
John Newton – That saved a pretty good guy like me?
– A wretch!!!
Appl – we must have a true view of self and our sin!!!
– have you confessed your unworthiness?
– Seen yourself as a wretched sinner in presence of a holy God?
– Never have a true conversion until you do
– and we must tell people the whole truth about sin and judgment, and Christ and the cross!!!
– Have you had a true conversion based on the true Gospel?
III. A TRUE SAVIOR
This is what the Gospel is all about!!!
– people hear enough about religion – but Christianity is about a Person!!!
A. Jesus Came to Save Sinners (v 15)
Notice what the Bible says: Christ Jesus came to save good people?
– people who try their best?
– People in church?
– People who get baptized?
– People who give the most money?
If you are a sinner – you are a candidate
– but you must be a sinner who recognizes your sinfulness and desire to be forgiven
B. Jesus came to save many sinners (v 16)
Notice verse 16
– Paul says I am a trophy of God’s grace!!!
– God’s grace is sufficient to save any person!!!
He saves from the guttermost to the uttermost!!!
We must believe in Amazing Grace for every race!!!
Appl – God can save anyone!!!
– no one is too far gone!
TRUTH: 2 Peter 3:9 should be our heartbeat!!!
Illus – Piano player in a church
– told me she lived a promiscuous life
– husband left her
– found out he is HIV positive
– she was getting ready to be tested
– said whatever the outcome, all is well
– she knew Jesus had saved her and forgive her
Illus – that is why we sing “Oh What a Saviour”
Only God could do that!!!!
– from the penalty and the power of sin!!!
It is unthinkable that God would save us from the penalty of sin and give us a new heart without it changing our lives!!!!
Illus – Matt. 1:21 “FROM their sins”
If life never been changed — ?
Appl – Christ Jesus did not come into this world to save good people
– people who think themselves good enough, with no real awareness nor confession of their own sinfulness are not candidates
– but sinners who admit it and desire to be set free – candidates
Appl – There are many sinners out in your world
– there are some that desire to be set free
– there are some that will gladly respond to the offer of the amazing grace of God
– we must be about telling them
Don’t pass up opportunities for divine appointments!!!!
Note the words at the end of verse 16 “who ARE GOING TO BELIEVE on Him for eternal life”
– another translation is “destined to”
God is saving a people!
We can get in on it!!!!
Do you have a testimony of God’s Amazing Grace?
Illus – Dr Alvin Reid said once a year or so he would preach on Paul’s testimony and then have his congregation write out theirs
– guess what happened?
– A lot of people realized they did not have one
– And they got saved!!!!
If you do, have you gotten over the fact that Jesus bled, died, rose again, to purchase your salvation and that He has saved your soul from Hell?
If this has happened to us, how can we be silent about our Savior?
If there really is a place called Hell for lost people, how in the world can we not be moved?
If we are not concerned about winning people to Jesus, then we really do not love Him
– for this was His first and His last command on earth!!!!
NEXT SERMON: FOR MOTHER”S DAY
A Mother’s Faith 2 Timothy 1:3-5
Intro Quote by Albert S. Taylor: “1% of the child’s time is spent under the influence of Sunday School, 7% under the influence of public schools, 92% under the influence of the home.”
Chuck Swindoll: “There is no more influential role on earth than a mother’s.”
Abraham Lincoln: “The hand that rocks the cradle, rules the world.”
Illus – Just the other day I was so convicted as parents that both my wife’s and my faith be real and lived out in front of our children, that they would see Jesus in us – that He is real to us and that He changed our life!!! I want to be real as dad and my wife wants to be real.
Moms, understand 3 truths from these verses about Eunice’s and Lois’ faith that should be true of yours:
I. It Is a Faith in The Lord Jesus Christ Alone
Context is clear that he is speaking of their faith in the Lord Jesus Christ!
Look at the following verses here in 2 Timothy 1 – v2, 9, 13, and in 3:14-15!
Mom, if teach your children to have faith in anything or person other than Christ – dead end road!!!
- Faith in self – dead end
– Faith in others – dead end
– Faith in religion – dead end
– Faith in education – dead end
– Faith in success – dead end
– Faith in materialism – dead end
– Faith in family – dead end
– Faith in being a good person – dead end
– Faith in business or work – dead end
– Faith in church – dead end
– Faith in money – dead end
Your faith must be in Jesus Christ alone!
Paul tells Timothy here in verse 5 that he remembers Timothy’s genuine faith that is in him — IT IS FAITH IN JESUS CHRIST ALONE that Timothy had in him!
And he says it first dwelt in grandmother Lois, and then his mother Eunice!
Timothy followed the influence of his mother who had followed the influence of her mother and they both placed their faith in Jesus Christ alone for their salvation and for their lives!
Nothing more important right now than this: Are you trusting in Jesus Christ alone for your salvation right now?
II. It is a Faith That is Genuine
Note the word in verse 5 describing his faith — “unfeigned” in the KJV
the NKJV says “genuine”
This word in the original language means: non-hypocritical, undisguised, sincere.
This teaches that there must be a hypocritical unsincere faith that can exist in a person!
This teaches that there is a difference between real, saving faith, and another kind of faith
- Head knowledge and heart trust (not enough to know of Jesus — we must know Him and be known of Him)
– Truth in Bible: there is such a thing as false faith!
– Deceptive faith that is not real
– The kind of faith that has no evidence and leads to Hell.
James 2:26 calls it faith without works that is dead!|
Illus — Judas had this kind of faith — He knew the Lord Jesus — he walked with the Lord Jesus — He was among the other disciples — but his faith was not real — it was a hypocritical faith!!!
Moms, make sure your faith in Jesus Christ is real!!!!
A. Explanantion of Hypocritical Faith
Hypocrites were spoken of by Christ – see Matthew 23!!
– Actor, stageplayer, counterfeit.
– Those who pretend
– look good on outside
– Those who just go through motions (See Isaiah 1)
— those just “playing church”
1. Their description – Matthew 23:15 and 23-28 – Head knowledge only – Only concern is praise of man – Not same in private as in public!
2. their destiny – Matthew 7:21-23
– Many are going to say in that day: Lord, Lord, didn’t I go to church? Didn’t I sing in the choir? Didn’t I give money? Didn’t I teach Sunday School? Lord, I was a deacon!
And He is going to say — Depart from Me — I never knew you! Meaning their faith was in what they were doing — not in Jesus Christ. Their faith was phoney, dead, hypocritical!
- Note the number – many!!
B. Explanation of Genuine Faith
- This is the kind of faith that results in action! – James is great book to read on it – Real faith prodces action
Illus – saved by faith alone but not kind of faith that is alone!
Illus — You can believe an airplane will take you to Texas. But believing is not enough to get you there. If you really believe, you will get on the plane. You must come to Jesus, leaving your sin and trusting fully in Him!
Timothy’s faith was real!!!
– His mother and grandmother’s faith was real!
– He saw it was not a game!!!
– They really believed in Christ to save them
– they did not just play church!
– they did not just go through the motions!
– Timothy saw a real faith in Jesus Christ in his mother and grandmother that resulted in a real loving relationship with Him!
Notice chapter 3:14-15! – From childhood he had known the holy Scriptures! That word childhood in the Greek means infancy! That means his mother taught him the Bible from when he was a baby all the way up!
You cannot hide something if it is real!!! Their faith was real and Timothy saw it!
By the way Kids can tell! They know if we are faking it or not! If you want to know how you really are — ask your kids — they are brutally honest!
This kind of faith – is concerned with heart change
– not concerned with what people think but what God thinks!
– Fears the Lord
– Is concerned about living godly lives
– Broken over sin!
Illus Charles Stanley describing his mom – Said she Could not teach theology to him – But taught him Bible and quoted verses and told how we are going to live by it – Prayed with and over him as boy – Sometimes wept and he would weep with her – Cried out to God to help him with his school work, etc.
The Bible says in 2 Corinthians 13:5 that we are to examine ourselves and make sure our faith in Christ is real!!!!
III. It is a Faith That Passes On (v5)
Notice it began in grandma Lois, passed on to mom Eunice, then to Timothy
Please know that faith is not automatic — every person must exercise faith in Jesus Christ on their own
But God blesses a genuine faith and that influence goes a very long way
Read in chapter 3 how Timothy was taught the Scripture from childhood — by his mom because Acts 16:1 indicates his father was not a believer
Mom, taking your kids to church is a good thing — but it is not enough!
Teaching them the Bible is a good thing, but it is not enough!
Teaching them to stay away from sin is a good thing, but it is not enough!
Your faith in Christ must be real, so that you have a real, abiding relationship with Jesus Christ — so that your faith is lived out every day and your children see it and they want what you have!
Illus — Listen to the words of Charles H. Spurgeon telling of the influence of his mother:
Yet at the same time I cannot tell how much I owe to the solemn words of my good mother—
as it was the custom on Sunday evenings—while we were yet children—for her to stay at home with us and sit around the table and read the Bible verse by verse— and she explained the Scripture to us!
After that was done—there came the time of pleading—and “Alleine’s Alarm” or Baxter’s “Call to the Unconverted” was read with pointed observations made to each of us as we sat around the table—concerning our responsibility to receive Christ—and then the question came from my mother—asking how long it would be before we would think about our spiritual state—how long before we would seek the Lord!!
Then came a mother’s prayer and some words of that prayer we would never forget—
even when our hair became gray!
I remember on one occasion she prayed thus—
Now Lord, if my children go on in there sins—
it will not be from ignorance that they perish—
for my soul will have to bear a swift witness against them
at the day of judgment—if they lay not hold of Christ!
That thought of a mother’s bearing swift witness against me pierced my conscience
and stirred my heart for I knew my sin!
When I was a child—if I had one anything wrong—I did not need anybody to tell me of it—
I told myself of it and I have cried myself to sleep many a time with the consciousness
that I had done wrong!
And when I came to know the Lord—I felt very grateful to Christ because He had given me
a tender conscience!
Yes, fathers and mothers are the most natural agents for God to use in the salvation
of their children!
I am sure that in my early youth—no teaching ever made such an impression on my mind
as the instruction of my mother!
Neither can I conceive that there can be anyone who will have such a great influence
over the heart of a child as a mother who has so tenderly prayed for her offspring!
A man with a soul so dead as not to be moved by the sacred name of “mother”
is creation’s blot!
Never can it be possible for any man to estimate what he owes to a godly mother—
how can I ever forget her tearful eyes when she warned me to escape the wrath to come!
How can I ever forget when she bowed her knees and with her arms about my neck prayed—
Oh, that my son might live before Thee!
Nor can her frown be removed from my memory—that solemn, loving frown—when she
rebuked my budding iniquities!
And her smiles have never faded from my recollection—when she rejoiced to see some good
thing in me toward the Lord God of Israel!
Sermon Outline on Blessed are the Pure in Heart:
BLESSED ARE THE PURE IN HEART
Said before — only way to change society is to preach Gospel — changed hearts!
Every sin, every act of evil — comes from wrong desires — from the heart
Here, Jesus comes to the very center of the teaching of the Beatitudes — the very center of the teaching of this sermon on the Mount, and the very center of the teaching of Christianity!
When one sees this statement — should cause him to cry out — Who then can be saved???? What must I do to be saved??? How can anyone be right with God????
To which Jesus says, What is impossible with men, it possible with God!
Only God can change hearts!
This is a supernatural work!
This is what it means to be born again!
It is a work of God and God alone!
- Changing environments will not give a person a new heart!
- Changing friends won’t!
- Doing better won’t!
- Education won’t!
I. THE MEANING OF PURE IN HEART
This is where the rubber meets the road in this great sermon!
This is why the Pharisees hated Jesus and wanted and plotted to kill Him!
They had people fooled!
They looked good on the outside!
They had an appearance of righteousness
Jesus goes straight to the heart — motives and intents and secret thoughts!
- A. The Meaning of Heart
The very center of our being
NOT merely our emotions and feelings!
Illus — I love you with all my heart
No, it is not mushy feely
It involves the mind, the will, and the emotions
the real you! The very core of who you are deep, deep inside!
1) What He did NOT say
- Notice Jesus did not say blessed are the pure in head — intellect only — read Bible and study in mechanical way to be smart – to argue, etc
You can be straight as an arrow doctrinally and lost as a golf ball in high grass!!!!
- He did not say blessed are the pure in conduct!!!!!
“If your actions should appear to be pure, yet if the motive at the back of those actions should be impure, that will nullify them all!” Spurgeon
Not talking about goody goody I’m better than you kind of righteousness!
Christianity not a matter of conduct and external behavior!
Deals with the heart!!!!
- He did not say blessed are the pure in speech — Jesus even told us on another occasion that what is in the heart comes out in the mouth!
- He does not say blessed are the pure in religion!
- He did not say blessed are the pure in church work!
- B. The Meaning of Pure
- Without hypocrisy
- single minded
- undivided — Christ alone!
- not — one part of my life is God’s — but over here is another part!
- The very core of me loves God — wants to serve Him, obey Him, live for Him alone!
- Rev 21:27 and 22:14 tells us nothing unclean will enter Heaven!
3) desire to be like Jesus
- Romans 8:29 is the goal!
- 1 John 2!
- To love Him first — even above family!!!!!
- Single devotion!
4) desire to glorify God with your life
This is the bottom line of Christian life!
Our purpose in life is to glorify God!!!!!
Our number one desire — not matter what it costs!!!
Questions: Who can become this?
Who can live up to this?
Who can cleanse and purify his heart in this sense?
Illus — How are so many deceived in reducing Christianity to a little decency, a little morality, going to church, being a little better than the gross sinners????? Or reduce it to an intellectual interest — see if I can out-argue others.
This is a supernatural work of God and when He begins this work He will finish it and He gives us a new heart that longs to be more and more pure!!!!
See 1 John 3 — purify self so ready when Christ returns!!!!
Like all the other beatitudes — initial when I see truth about myself — then becomes continual as grow in new life!!!!
II. THE PROMISE TO THE PURE IN HEART
They Shall see God!!!
This is both for the present and the future:
- A. Present Promise
Those who have been saved and been made pure in heart by Christ Can now see God in a sense the non-Christian cannot
- Can now see Him Working in history
- Controlling the events of the world
- Working in my life
- Seeing Him answer prayers
- sensing His presence
Illus — Times in my life when I just know He is there — answered a prayer, etc. Just recently leaving the bank — great victory — heard the song “He who began a good work in you” and I knew it was Christ!
- B. Future Promise
See 1 John 3!!!! Face to face!
- III. How Can a Person Be Pure in Heart?
First step: Come to Christ
Can try to clean your own heart but at end of life can be blacker than ever was! (Martyn Lloyd Jones)
Come to Christ and enter the Christian journey — the He begins the process of making you like Himself (see Romans 8:29!
1) God’s part — PHP 1:6!!!
2) My part — purify self — see James 4!!!
Illus — Charles Stanley this morning on “Now that you are saved then what.” Php 2:12-13!!!
You work it out — because He is working in you!!!!
Be careful of books you read, what see on Internet and TV! Make covenant with your eyes like Job not to look at anything impure!
Don’t give the devil an opportunity the Scripture says!!!!
Meditate and memorize Scripture!
Romans 8:29 is the goal!
To glorify God is your purpose in life?
Question: where is your heart today?
- on going to the beach this summer
- on getting a new house
- on getting a better body
- on growing up and being free to do what you want
- on finding right mate and living happily ever after
- on the next meal?
Or do you desire above everything else to glorify God? To magnify Christ?
Do you need a new heart? Is that your problem?
Examine yourself now — see if Christ is evident within your life!
Long for more obedience? Holiness?
See pattern of sanctification in your life?
See yourself in this journey — this race Paul talks about?
He talks about the prize
Illus — James Merritt said many think they are running the race and salvation is the prize. No! Salvation is the gift from God that puts you in the race!!!!!!!
From the words of Charles Spurgeon preaching on this text (all that follows is copied from his sermon):
And the next moment the forgiven sinner
cries, “Now that I am saved, now that I am pardoned, my Lord Jesus Christ, I will be Your servant forever! I will put to
death the sins that put You to death and if You will give me the strength to do so, I will serve You as long as I live!” The
current of the man’s soul ran before towards evil, but the moment that he finds that Jesus Christ died for him and that his
sins are forgiven him for Christ’s sake, the whole stream of his soul rushes in the other direction towards that which is
right! And though he still has a struggle against his old nature, yet from that day forth the man is pure in heart—that is
to say, his heart loves purity, his heart seeks after holiness, his heart pines after perfection.
Now he is the man who sees God, loves God, delights in God, longs to be like God and eagerly anticipates the time
when he shall be with God and see Him face to face. That is the process of purification—may you all enjoy it through the
effectual working of the Holy Spirit! If you are willing to have it, it is freely proclaimed to you. If you truly desire the
new heart and the right spirit, they will be graciously given to you! There is no need for you to try to fit yourselves to
receive them. God is able to work them in you this very hour! He who will wake the dead with one blast of the resurrection
trumpet can change your nature with the mere volition of His gracious mind! He can, while you sit in this house,
create in you a new heart, renew a right spirit within you and send you out as different a man from what you were when
you came in as if you were a new-born child! The power of the Holy Spirit to renew the human heart is boundless! “Oh,”
says one, “would that He would renew my heart, that He would change my nature!” If that is your heart’s desire, send up
that prayer to Heaven right now! Let not the wish die in your soul, but turn it into a prayer and then breathe it out unto
God and listen to what God has to say to you. It is this—“Come now, and let us reason together, says the Lord: though
your sins are as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall be as wool.” Or this—
“Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you shall be saved”—saved from your love of sin, saved from your old habits and
so completely saved that you shall become one of the pure in heart who see God!
But perhaps you ask, “What is it to believe in the Lord Jesus Christ?” It is to trust Him, to rely upon Him. Oh, that
we could all rely upon Jesus Christ now! Oh, that that troubled young man over there could come and trust in Jesus! You
will never get rid of your troubles till you do! But, dear Friend, you may be rid of them this very moment if you will but
believe in Jesus! Yes, though you have struggled in vain against your evil habits, though you have wrestled with them
sternly and resolved, and re-resolved, only to be defeated by your giant sins and your horrible passions, there is One who
can conquer all your sins for you! There is One who is stronger than Hercules, who can strangle the hydra of your lust,
kill the lion of your passions and cleanse the Augean stable of your evil nature by turning the great rivers of blood and
water of His atoning Sacrifice right through your soul! He can make and keep you pure within! Oh, look to Him! He
hung upon the Cross, accursed of men, and God made Him to be sin for us, though He knew no sin, that we might be
made the righteousness of God in Him. He was condemned to die as our Sin-Offering that we might live forever in the
love of God. Trust Him, trust Him! He has risen from the dead and gone up into His Glory, and He is at the right hand of
God pleading for transgressors. Trust Him! You can never perish if you trust Him, but you shall live with ten thousand times ten thousand more who have all been saved by Grace, to sing of a mighty Savior able to save to the uttermost all
them that come unto God by Him!
God grant that you may all be thus saved, that so you may be among the pure in heart who shall see God and never
leave off seeing Him. And He shall have all the Glory! Amen and Amen! Spurgeon